Friday, January 6, 2012

The Scott Pilgrim Series by Bryan Lee O'Malley: Vol. 1



Confession time: I saw the movie before reading any of the graphic novels, which I realize makes me a horrible person, and I apologize.

Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

This (very brief) volume introduces us to the main players: Scott and his very young girlfriend Knives, his band, his roommate Wallace, his sister, and the intriguing love interest, Ramona Flowers.

The plot is basically this: Scott, who is in his early 20s, is (rather chastely) dating a high schooler (Knives). They spend most of the book hanging out and going to thrift stores. Scott seems to enjoy listening to Knives chatter on about the high school drama in her life. Can I just say: I never want to date someone in high school. Besides the obvious creep factor (and it's worse for me than for Scott Pilgrim - I'm 27), I just am so glad that drama-filled part of my life is over! The only thing worse than high school drama is hearing about someone else's high school drama.

Anyway, Ramona Flowers, whom Scott has not met, starts appearing in his dreams. Then he meets her for real. They start hanging out/dating, and Scott has to not be an asshole and break it off with Knives - oh and Ramona has a bunch of evil exes that Scott has to fight. What? Yeah, it's a comic book.

I liked it. I thought Scott was a slimy douchebag and am still confused as to whether we're supposed to sympathize with him. The other characters are cool though, and I like the attention to detail in their clothes and hair. And Toronto is featured prominently and surprisingly accurately in the background. Some places we've seen so far include the stairs to Casa Loma and the Pizza Pizza at Bloor and Bathurst. Cool cool.

Four CN Towers out of five














My review of Volume 2 coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment